I found this post, “You know you are in training when……” on Views from the Third Wave
My running club is on week 8 our our 14 week long run program for our fall marathons. Many of us are training for the Bay State Marathon. This was originally posted back in May by fellow blogger, Peter Whent, but it seems just as appropriate now.
“In training” is only a short phrase, but it means a huge amount. It’s when a carefree fitness regime becomes a structured program with a goal. It almost becomes a way of life.
How many of you recognise some of these signs telling you that you are “in training”?
- You can’t remember the last time you were still in bed at 7.00am.
- You are always hungry.
- When someone asks you out socially you check what’s on your training schedule the next morning before accepting.
- Your trousers start to feel looser.
- You struggle to keep pace with the constant stream of laundry.
- You find yourself looking on the side of food packaging for calorie, carbohydrate and protein information.
- That wine bottle in the fridge has remained untouched for a week.
- You find yourself eating porridge for breakfast – even in the middle of summer.
- You are ready for bed at 8.00pm
- You see more of your sports masseuse than you do of your friends.
I’d like to add, #11, you know you are in training when you won’t sign up for a Half Marathon because you need to get in more than 13.1 miles that weekend!
I have a few half marathons on my schedule between now and Bay State and I plan to use them to gauge my fitness level. There is still time to kick it up a notch if I have to, but I still have not hit my peek mileage weeks yet either.